Wednesday, 5 October 2011

To dye for darling

After peeping Michael Kors' and Nicholas K's Spring/Summer 2012 collections, I will definetely be jumping on the tie-dye band wagon next season.

Nicholas K Spring/Summer 2012

Michael Kors Spring/Summer 2012


This this gorgeous floor length strapless dress from Michael Kors reminds of the quintessential African 'wrapper':

Michael Kors Spring/Summer 2012
Nigerian women wearing beautiful woven wrappers
Wives of the Oba of Benin (Nigeria) wearing  voile lace wrappers

However, my fabric of choice is more likely to be adire (Nigerian tye-dye). If your not familiar with this textile, here are a few photos (with commentary) to get you up to speed.
Traditional adire is typically indigo although it sometimes comes in a beautiful deep purple. In West Africa indigo usually represents wealth, abundance and fertility.

Adire often features very elaborate designs:


 



As well as simple patterns:

  


Modern adire often comes in a wider variety of colours:

3 comments:

  1. i will like you guys to also check out my blog (http://areme-007.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember dye.... I can make one too. I was taught in Nigeria part, art subject to be precise. It was really cool, i actually cant remember where the product is now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you make anything else hun be sure to keep me posted; tie-dye is gonna be huge next season and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete