Sunday, 1 January 2012

Faux fur & ankara

Brrr it's cold (and rainy) outside! And what better way to stay warm than with a pair of boots, a thick winter coat and layers upon layers of knitwear. When I think of wintery fabrics I mostly think of wool, fleece, shearling, lots of faux fur, angora, mohair and cashmere - I don't think of ankara. Ankara isn't something you wear in winter maybe because it's a lightweight fabric, perhaps because it often features bright colours, prints and patterns which are not associated with winter wear. Well I decided to break with that and I'm gonna try and inject some 'African print' in my winter wardrobe.

Here's me wearing my ankara print Les Soeurs top, with my favourite blanket cap (and yes I know I've worn this hat in numerous posts but you know what, it's really windy round 'ere and the hat keeps my hair in check alright).

 
 
 
 
 
I love this blanket cape, if your interested in making one, you could use McCall's M3448 poncho pattern to reproduce the one I'm wearing:

Or even BurdaStyle #124 cape pattern


8 comments:

  1. love the outfit! love the fur wrap too, did you make this cape? I've never made a cape before but I will try it, thanks for the suggestions happy new year!
    http://ironyofashi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw you should be doing more outfits post! I enjoy them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hun. I didn't make this cape, I just attached a fur scarf to add a little va va voom cos it's quite plain. Capes are super easy to make and you don't even have to line them (dependent on the fabric of course); you just cut it out, fray the edges, twist them and go - although the fraying and twisting is looong, trust me. By God's grace, I'll try and upload some that I've made, and I'll definitely take your advice and put up more outfit posts. Take care babe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative again, you always surprised me with your combinations; bravo

    I WISH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY A HAPPY STYLISH AND CREATIVE NEW YEAR 2012. GOD BLESS.

    www.minasek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @O.s.u VIP: thanks babe

    @Minasek: Thank you. Happy New Year to you and your family too hun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hun so i just stumbled on your blog and I am hooked majorly! Love love love! So here is me introducing myself as your new blog stalker lol! Luv the look bdw and hair classy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you darling, glad you likey, such kind words x

      Delete