Tuesday, 14 February 2012

Roman Invasion

This awesome Roman invasion of Britain inspired dress by Marian Toledo of Fashion Academic formed part of her final collection for her Graduate Diploma course at Central Saint Martins. It was made usuing crepe back silk satin in indigo and hand embroidered with golden accents. This particular dress won her a Student Commendation at the 2009 Hand and Lock Prize for Embroidery (visit http://www.handembroidery.com/) Marian did not do the sewing on the garment, she designed and hand embroidered everything. Credit goes to Patricia, the technician who sewed the dress, for her fantastic work.



I love the dress but looking at the construction photos made me think that the embellishment would make an awesome statement necklace.



I also love from this dress from Marian that was inspired by the armour of George Clifford, 3rd Earl of Cumberland and conqueror of Puerto Rico (for 39 days, mind you), which was on exhibition at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. The dress was also inpired in Japanese pattern cutting techniques.



4 comments:

  1. I can definitely see the Italian inspiration in the first dress. Its really a work of art. Great post Buki!

    www.stylebycesca.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first dress, crepe back silk satin is a rather feminine fabric and the military regalia inspired embellishment really toughens it up x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank you for this feature! Just to clarify, I did not sew the garment, but I did all of the embroidery work by hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, thank you so much for the feature! Just to clarify, I did not do the sewing on the dress, but I did do all of the embroidery by hand and with a lot of patience and improvisation!

    ReplyDelete