Saturday, 4 February 2012

Something Old

I just thought I'd share with you photos of some of my first sewing/DIY projects.

My Wedding Dress
I made my own wedding dress, I wouldn't advise anyone else to do, organising a wedding is hard enough without the added stress of making your own gown, bridal bouquet and floral arrangements (thank God for family and friends).
The photo on the left was taken after the wedding ceremony look at the relief on my face. That's why I love candid photos taken on special ocassions they really capture your true emotions on that day
I made my dress out of ivory duchess satin, beaded border lace and tulle with a pattern I bought from www.bridalcoveredbuttons.co.uk. It's a simple, classic fishtail design with a delicate sweet-heart neckline, lace up closure (with dignity panel) and tulle chapel length train. My bridal bouquet and floral arrangements were made using white calla lilies, freesias, akito roses, avalanche rose and aspidistra leaves. My bridal bouquet was small and dainty, I was concerned about getting spores on my dress - especially from the lilies - which leave dirty spots which when your wearing white isn't a good look but it was alright.

The Confidence Builder
This is one of the first outfits I made using ankara. I loved the results except for the slight wardrobe malfunction but after making it, I felt so much more confident in my sewing skills and I've gotten so many lovely compliments about it.
And in case your wondering here are the shoes I wore with it:

The Teacher
Making this dress taught me that I desperately needed to polish my sewing skills and master the basics.


20 comments:

  1. Wow! The wedding dress is just beautiful! Trust me all the trouble i'm sure it gave you paid off And that Ankara dress is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wedding dress looks really nice

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow ur wedding dress is so pretty, and the ankara dress is just as fab. didnt know u were married.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wooah the wedding dress and the ankara dress are really a success for me. You show also good skills at sewing like at styling yourself.

    www.minasek.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loveee the ankara. How did you learn to sew?
    I'm inspired :)
    Plus you are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. I learnt basic sewing technique at secondary school but I must admit, it was more trial and error than anything else.

      Delete
  6. i love the wedding dress. but that must have been scary to do just in case u mess up. good work.

    http://www.girlsgirlonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was scary to do, it really was but I was so determined to do it and I'm glad I did because I learnt a lot about myself. I just thank God it came out alright.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I am soooo impressed! Girl you are gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was speechless reading this post....
    1) your married! well i didnt know and 2) you freaking made your wedding dress and it was absolutely gorg!
    wow! just wow!
    i love the ankara dress you made, very unsual but it looks good and you pulled it off well with the accessories!
    your too much buki lol
    sorry for the long essay o, I couldnt help but express my mind :D hope your enjoying your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww babe, got me feeling all emosh with your lovely comments!

      Delete
  10. buki ur married?? wow who would have guessed? dat wedding gown looks fab on you ur so talanted xxxx http://youtu.be/GiHTmt75-NQ jst launched my youtube channel pls subscribe:-)http://youtu.be/GiHTmt75-NQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you babe and I subscribed to your channel x

      Delete
  11. Simly Gorgeouse!The ankara is mwaaaah do you got at shop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun and I just sew for fun. It's something I really enjoy doing x

      Delete